Shop Local campaigns are going on all over the country, and they’re gaining momentum. In the Greater Severna Park & Arnold area several of the local businesses started talking about ways to gain more support from the community. They wanted to develop a program to educate people to the benefits of shopping local. The Severna Park Voice took a major role in getting the ball rolling in Severna Park and Arnold to develop a program that would accomplish the goals of awareness and support. As a result, our Shop Local was launched by the Greater Severna Park & Arnold Chamber of Commerce in 2012.
One of the issues that people don’t always understand is the support that local businesses give to the community through donations of time and money. This support extends to schools, sports teams, and local charities. Locally owned businesses build strong sustainable communities by contributing more to local causes. Dollars spent in locally-owned businesses have much more impact on your community – and that’s a good thing!
Local businesses understand the needs and desires of the communities they serve, and they understand the concept of good customer service. They provide convenience, provide jobs, and help build the sense of community that we all treasure. We want people to think about where their dollars go, and to keep as much of that dollar local as possible. It’s as simple – and wonderful – as that!”
~ Linda S. Zahn, CEO, Greater Severna Park & Arnold Chamber of Commerce
If you are a business owner who would like to be a part of the campaign, get started today.
10 Reasons Why You Should Shop Local
- Keep Money In Our Neighborhood. For every $100.00 spent in locally owned independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures. This purchasing choice vs. other purchasing options keeps the most money in our community. These dollars continue to flow through our community!
- Locally Owned Businesses Support Community Groups. Non-profit organizations receive an average of 350% more support from local business owners then they do from non-locally owned businesses.
- Create Jobs In Our Community. Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community, providing the most jobs to residents. Locally owned businesses are far less likely to pull up stakes and move operations to another city or country, taking their jobs with them.
- Get Better Service. In a local business, you know the person behind the counter, and they know you. They have a deep understanding of the products they’re selling, and they take time to serve their customers.
- Community Well Being. Locally owned businesses build strong neighborhoods by sustaining communities, linking neighbors, and contributing to more local causes.
- Keep Our Community Unique. Where we shop, eat and go for entertainment, helps make our community, home. Our one-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of the distinctive character of our community.
- Investment In The Community. Local business owners are people who live here, work here; and are invested in the community with their time and energy, as well as their dollars.
- Enjoy Selections Geared to Local Tastes and Needs. Local businesses have a wider array of uniquely focused products because they buy and sell based on what they know local customers want and need, creating more relevant choices.
- Local Decision Making. Local ownership means that important decisions are made locally by people who live in our community and who will feel the impacts of those decisions.
- Support Entrepreneurship. Creativity and entrepreneurship are what fuels America’s economic innovation and prosperity. The success of locally owned, independent businesses provides real-life examples to our young people, proving that they can stay in our area and prosper through their own hard work and ingenuity.